PICKERING RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB
© Pickering Rifle & Pistol club 10/2015
To “encourage & facilitate the
development of & participation in the
sport of target shooting”
Records indicate that a range was in use as far back as the 2nd half of the 1800’s
probably in connection with the Rifle Volunteer Movement of 1859-1908. Copies of
earlier maps show a range with firing points up to 600 yards in use up until the
end of World War II.
The Club operates similar to most community sports clubs having a recognised
constitution which guides the activities of the Club officers & committee. Club Bye-
Laws, Range Orders & Safety Rules follow the standard set by the NRA.
Costs are kept to a sensible level as all maintenance & operating functions are
performed by the members & range facilities are limited to those required for
Consists of three raised gravel firing points at 100, 200 & 300 yards located
in a level wooded valley. Firing is directed towards the butts at three elevating
targets with a sand stop-butt. Markers operating in the butts are protected
by an earth/concrete mantlet. Each firing point can accommodate six
shooters, two to a target. The butts, targets & stop-butt have recently been
refurbished to a high standard equal to that found on military ranges.
Additionally, the club regularly shoots on Strensall Military Ranges at
distances up to 600 yards.
Cleaning a rifle after shooting
Shooting from the 300 yards firing point